Choosing the best divorce lawyer is critical when it comes time to file for divorce. Not all lawyers are created equal, and you’ll want to make sure you have the best possible chance of getting through your divorce as smoothly as possible. Here are a few tips for selecting the best divorce lawyer for your needs:
1. Do your research. Don’t just choose the first lawyer you come across; take the time to do some research and ask around for recommendations. Friends, family, and colleagues can be excellent sources of information when it comes to finding a good lawyer.
2. Ask about experience. It’s important to choose a lawyer who has plenty of experience handling divorces. They’ll know what to expect and how to guide you through the process quickly.
3. Get several quotes or estimates for your divorce attorney fees. Be sure to get an itemized list of what you can expect to pay, and make sure they provide references so you can follow up with their past clients.
4. Ask about costs upfront. You definitely want to avoid any surprises when it comes time to pay your lawyer’s fee; make sure you know exactly what it will cost upfront, including everything from retainer fees to chargeable hours that may go into each task performed by your lawyer or his staff members. Also, ask for a detailed estimate of all the legal services they’ll be providing during the course of your proceedings–and remember that these are just ballpark figures until you finally receive your final legal bill.
5. Choose a local law firm. There’s a good chance you’ll want to consult with your lawyer several times throughout the course of your divorce proceedings, so it’s best to choose someone who has an office nearby. If you’d prefer to work with an out-of-town lawyer, be sure they can quickly fly in on short notice if there are any issues that need immediate attention.
6. Get references and follow up. Your search for the best divorce lawyer Houston may be over once you’ve found one who seems like a good fit for your needs; but before you sign on the dotted line, take some time to follow up with their past clients to see what they had to say about that lawyer’s services. Also, be sure you get references for any contracts or agreements they want you to sign–and remember that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to legal matters.
The best divorce lawyers will provide plenty of guidance throughout the course of your proceedings, but don’t forget that hiring any old attorney isn’t enough. You’ll need someone who has lots of experience in family law and knows how to work quickly yet efficiently to avoid delays.